When Russia’s capital was transferred to St. Petersburg, the Armory was disbanded, while most of its icon-painters, due to the lack of commissions, went to convents or left Moscow for provincial towns. Western secular themes became central to the artistic traditions of St. Petersburg. The appearance of the Armory icon-painters in the Russian provinces affected the local iconographic traditions by adding their specific artistic style to local art traditions. Egor the Greek was one of the few secular icon-painters to have carried on the Armory iconographic traditions in the new Russian metropolis. The first mention of Egor the Greek occurs in the 1720s. Egor Ivanov is believed to have won the nickname “Greek” not owing to his origin but rather to the fact that was a successor of the Armory artistic traditions, called “Greek painting” in the 18th century. Egor the Greek also created the icons of The Apostles Peter and Paul, Saints Alexander Nevsky and Vladimir (1742), Our Lady of St. Theodor (1745) from the St. Sergius Cathedral in St. Petersburg. Both icons are kept in the Russian Museum in St. Petersburg.