Cyril of Belozersk, Venerable

Iconography:  Cyril of Belozersk, St.

Date: XVI century.

Origin: From the Voskresensky Goritsky nuns’ convent, Kirillovsky district of the Novgorodskaya province (now village Goritsy in the Kirillovsky district, Vologodskaya region). The convent was founded in 1544 by princess Euphrosyne Staritskaya (monastic name – Eudocia).

Material: Wood, tempera

Dimensions:  height 86 cm, width 63 cm

The icon in the metal casing. Full-length depiction of the blessing Venerable Cyril of Belozersk with the scroll in his left hand.

Was deposited in 1930.

Restoration: ВХПО им. Вучетича, 1992, restorer is unknown.

Inv. №560/7. © Cherepovets Museum Association.

Bibliography: Куликова О.В. Древние лики Русского Севера. Из музейного собрания икон XIV-XIX веков города Череповца. М., 2009. Кат. № 36 (Илл. 37).

  • General view
  • Cyril of Belozersk. Fragment
  • Face of the saint